The first sign of bedbugs may flat red welts, itchy bites on the skin, usually on the arms or shoulders. Bedbugs tend to leave rows of bites, these rows can be straight or zigzag, unlike some other insects that leave bites here and there.
Here are some other signs:
- The bugs themselves, especially along the seams of mattresses.
- Tiny bloodstains on sheets and mattresses.
- Dark spots of insect waste where bedbugs might crawl into hiding places on furniture, walls, and floors.
- A sweet or unpleasant musty odor from bedbugs’ scent glands where bedbugs are found in large numbers.
WHERE TO LOOK
- Check the Bed First, both the mattress and the box spring. You are looking for rust-colored reddish-brown stains shaped like ovals. These are molted bug skin.
- Check other Furniture, bed Bugs love upholstery, this means chairs, couches, curtains and the edges of the carpet
- Check Hiding Places, again you are looking for reddish-brown spots. Look under the bed, behind the dresser and behind the headboard.
- Check the Closet, unfortunately bed bugs like to cling to clothing. Your closet could be a place where they hang out.
- Check with your Nose. There is a musty sweet odor that accompanies Bed Bugs. It is very strong and strange.
If many of these signs are consistent with what you are seeing, we recommend having it treated right away. Bed bugs are the hardest pest to exterminate in the Portland area and the longer you wait, the harder it gets. Keep in mind that a female bed bug can lay about 500 eggs in her lifetime, so you need to act quickly if you suspect that you have a problem.
The first step to take when you think you have a bed bug infestation is to call us. We will come out and do a free inspection to inform you how bad the issue is and what steps need to be taken. If you are having problems with bed bugs and would like some help, please give us a call.